GLACIER Tax Prep is a web-based tax return preparation system designed exclusively for foreign students, scholars, teachers, researchers, trainees, and their dependents who are nonresident aliens to aid in preparing U.S. federal income tax Forms 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ. For the foreign visitor to the U.S., GLACIER Tax Prep is designed to take the time and confusion out of filing a U.S. tax return - it takes only about 20 minutes to complete and print a tax return!
GLACIER Tax Prep may be purchased by an individual foreign national or by an institution (college, university, research institution, etc.) for use by its foreign nationals (Group Use License). If you are at an institution that does not use GLACIER Tax Prep, you should ask your international office to consider purchasing a GROUP Use License so that others at your institution can enjoy GLACIER Tax Prep too!
GLACIER Tax Prep is written in easy-to-understand language. Foreign nationals don't have to understand the U.S. tax system, they simply need to answer a few questions about their time spent in the U.S. and any payments they've received - that's all - GLACIER Tax Prep does the rest by deciding which tax return to file and putting the right information on the right line.
GLACIER Tax Prep is the only tax return preparation system of its kind! GLACIER Tax Prep:
- Calculates the substantial presence test to determine the foreign national's U.S. residency status;
- Verifies each type of payment for any applicable income tax treaty exemptions;
- Checks if the individual is eligible for "away-from-home" expenses (if he or she has been in the U.S. for less than 12 months);
- Completes the correct U.S. income tax form - either Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ;
- Prepares any additional statements or attachments, as applicable - Form 2106, Form 8843, Schedule C, and/or Scholarship/Fellowship Grant Statement;
- Prints the tax return and all attachments (please note, the IRS does not allow nonresident aliens to file a tax return electronically); and
- Provides detailed instructions about how, when and where to submit the tax return, as well as information about the documents necessary to attach and complete the tax return filing process.
If your institution does not use GLACIER Tax Prep, you may purchase an INDIVIDUAL License (for your use ONLY). To do so, simply
- Purchase an INDIVIDUAL license for $34 to obtain access to GLACIER Tax Prep;
- Receive an Access Code and instructions from the GLACIER Tax Prep Support Center on how to access GLACIER Tax Prep via email; and
- Log into GLACIER Tax Prep from any web-enabled computer - anywhere in the world, at any time of day or night to begin completing your U.S. tax return!
Note: If you are at an institution that does not use GLACIER Tax Prep, you should ask your international office to consider purchasing a GROUP Use License so that others at your institution can enjoy GLACIER Tax Prep too!
The cost of an Individual Use license is $34 and allows ONE foreign national individual to complete his or her Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, along with Form 8843 and Form W-7 for himself/herself and any dependents (if applicable). All Individual orders require payment via a U.S.-issued credit or debit card.