GLACIER Tax Prep ("GTP") is an online tax return preparation system designed exclusively for foreign students,
scholars, teachers, researchers, trainees, and their dependents who are nonresident aliens to aid in preparing U.S.
federal income tax form 1040-NR. For the foreign visitor to the U.S., GTP is designed to take
the time and confusion out of filing a U.S. tax return - it takes only about 20 minutes to complete and print a
GTP may be purchased by an individual foreign national or by an institution (college,
university, research institution, etc.) for use by its foreign nationals (Group Use License).
If you are at an institution that does not use GTP, you should ask your
international office to consider purchasing a GROUP Use License so that others at your
institution can enjoy GTP too!
GTP is written in easy-to-understand language. Foreign nationals don't have to understand the U.S. tax system,
they simply need to answer a few questions about their time spent in the U.S. and any payments they've received -
that's all - GTP does the rest by deciding which tax return to file and putting the right information on the
GTP is the only tax return preparation system of its kind! GTP:
- Calculates the substantial presence test to determine the foreign national's U.S. residency status;
- Verifies each type of payment for any applicable income tax treaty exemptions;
- Completes the correct U.S. income tax form - Form 1040-NR;
- Prepares all applicable schedules and additional statements based on the specific situation; and
- Provides detailed instructions about how, when and where to submit the tax return, as well as information about the documents necessary to attach and complete the tax return filing process.
If your institution does not use GTP, you may purchase an INDIVIDUAL License (for your use ONLY). To do so, simply
- Purchase an INDIVIDUAL license for $34 to obtain access to GTP;
Receive an Access Code and instructions from the GTP Support Center on how to
access GTP via email; and
Log into GTP from anywhere in the world, at any time
of day or night to begin completing your U.S. tax return!
Note: If you are at an institution that does not use GTP, you should ask your international office
to consider purchasing a GROUP Use License so that others at your institution can enjoy GTP too!
The cost of an Individual Use license is $34 and allows ONE foreign
national individual to complete his or her Form 1040-NR, along with all applicable schedules,
Form 8843, and Form W-7. All Individual orders require payment via a U.S.-issued credit or debit card.